web page hit counter

Friday, August 26, 2005

I think, therefore I'm yoghurt.

I was reading back over some of the predictions that futurologists had made over the past 6 months, and I came across a newspaper article the other day, and I came across an article predicting the creation of nano-enhanced intelligent yoghurt.

Intelligent yoghurt? Sometimes I wonder what kind of world some futurologists live in. Intelligent yoghurt? I mean, some people try to think outside the box, but others just don't know where the box is.

I've come to the conclusion that the general public won't appreciate tiny machines scurrying around inside their body unless there are clearly defined benefits, and I'm not sure if an interesting flavour provides enough justification to having your body invaded by tiny machines. People want a natural solution, something that is derived from mother earth.

Now, genetically enhanced intelligent fruit, that's where the real blue sky thinking is going on. Imagine an army of trillions of super intelligent stawberries that can work together using short range telepathy to help cure all of the problems of mankind. They'd have a built-in depression phase during which they're only too happy to leap into a blender to provide us with a tasty snack.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be happy eating robo-yoghurt - after all, it might be working for a foreign power, changing your body as the little nanobots turn you into into a flesh eating robot zombie soldier.

I, like most poeple, prefer their yoghurt dead, and if the fruit within gave its life willingly, then so much the better.

3 Comments:

At 3:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will have read the latest comments from the futurologists at BT.
They too have been predicting the invention of smart yoghurt. More worryingly we seem to be due the invention of smart jelly babies in 2012. I certainly don't want my jelly baby wandering off prior to being eaten. Are we to see the formation of jelly baby societies protesting of their abuse and consumption by humans? Jelly wars as they fight to free themselves from oppression? Clearly this madness has to stop now.

It is a relief to read a more sensible viewpoint of the future such as yours when we see such drivel being spouted by supposedly professional people such as referenced above.

 
At 4:16 am, Blogger Dr Perry Orford said...

It is the job of futurologists to see trends in technology around us, and to skillfully extrapolate to bring you a vision of the future that may help guide current thinking.

Your Jelly baby idea, although amusing, is a little off the mark I'm afraid. It is quite clear to see that no material gain would be obtained from making smart jelly babies (a push factor) and there's no technology path to creating them (pull factor).

It might be that an intelligent jelly baby could be cultured using fruit, but that would be a natural extension of my foresight.

I think you'll understand this situation a little better if you buy my book "Future Push - stairway to the technoutopic bubble" ISBN:0683071939
in chapter 3 there's a section about technology paths.

 
At 5:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Dr. Orford, I'll certainly look out for your book.
Much as I'd like to take credit for the smart jellybaby idea I'm afraid it's not my work. It's just one of the predictions in the BT Timeline.
Looking through the timeline again, they seem to be influenced by your ideas. I see "Medicine delivered via fruit" is one of their predictions for 2008-2012. Fortunately, any confusion such as witnessed above should be removed in 2051 when they are predicting the creation of fully telepathic communication. Whether this is with fruit or humans remains unclear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home